Re: question about product license and support

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 06:48:31 -0700

MJ Wood wrote:

> Hi all,
> I read up and down of Oracle store and still can't figure out their
> license and support model. I was asked to find out how much is cost
> for us to purchase an Oracle 9i development (then production if
> everything goes smooth) license and support.
>
> First, I don't see the license is related to version, i.e. no matter
> it's oracle 8i,9i or 10g they all seem to have the same license;
> Moreover I don't see anything is called "development license", except
> the "Oracle Database Personal Edition", as described from the page,
> "....is designed to provide software developers a cost effective, yet
> full featured Oracle Database environment on which to develop, test
> and run custom or packaged applications...". Is it the one I should
> get first?
>
> I was told that "support" is the access privilege of metalink and I
> can get all kinds of support from there. Is this similar to Microsoft
> MSDN or IBM PartnerWorld that it has access control on the level of
> support? What I mean is I don't see it has something like
> "bronze/silver/gold" type of support level; and if I have the license
> of 9i, is it true that I can only access the patch / support doc. for
> 9i only?
>
> Yes I know I can call their sales to know these but before that I want
> to have a clear mind of what I should get first and what I expect to
> ask. Any help is appreciated, TIA!

The worst possible way to answer the question you were asked is to go to oracle.store.com. Doing so is the moral equivalent to phoning a used car dealer and asking how much a car costs and thinking that is the actual price.

Ask a salesperson to come to your company. Take them into a conference room. And get a price quotation: In writing.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington