function returns newlines

From: M Rothwell <ThisIsABadAddress_at_toobad.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 14:04:58 -0700

I have a function that returns a single character value CHAR.

I have a query:

select colA, myfunction( colB )

   from TableA;

The query results are:

09381520039

09381520039

I dont understand where the new lines are coming from. If I re-write the query as follows:

select colA, chr( ascii( myfunction( colB ) ) )

   from TableA;

I get the following output:

09381520039     X
09381520039     X

Is there an easier (read, cleaner) way to get the output on a single line?

Thanks Received on Thu Aug 05 2004 - 16:04:58 CDT