Re: Oracle JDeveloper 10g Configuring MySQL DataSources with OC4J and JDeveloper

From: Alan <nomorezpam3_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 5 Aug 2004 10:50:28 -0700

nomorezpam3_at_hotmail.com (Alan) wrote in message news:<84f54f12.0408050502.7e8031c3_at_posting.google.com>...
> I'm trying to run through
> http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/jdev/tips/duff/mysql_and_oc4j3.html
> as a first time attempt at installing JDeveloper and working with JNDI
> and MySQL, but I'm running into problems with this paper.
>
> Firstly, the paper tells me to setup <data-source> entries in the
> data-sources.xml file (point 2 in the paper); then it tells me to edit
> the WEB-INF/web.xml to add <resource-ref> items (point 3). Now - I am
> probably missing something - but where is the link between these two
> entries... my Java is told to lookup "java:comp/env/jdbc/OraBlogsDS"
> which it probably finds in the <resource-ref> (web.xml) file but then
> how does it jump to the <data-source> entries that tell the code how
> and where to connect to my MySQL database?
>
> Secondly, when I run my (slightly modified) code - I get the following
> error message when the code attempts the lookup...
>
> code-line : DataSource ds = (DataSource)
> ctx.lookup("java:comp/env/resource-ref-name-entry");
>
> code-line-error: javax.naming.NoInitialContextException: Need to
> specify class name in environment or system property, or as an applet
> parameter, or in an application resource file:
> java.naming.factory.initial
>

> The Oracle paper fails to tell me about any other requirements such as
> an application resource file, etc.
>
> Can anyone assist in either of these two points.
> Many Thanks,
>
> Alan

After about 4 hours I seem to have resolved this problem by adding a jndi.properties file to my classpath with the entry "java.naming.factory.initial=com.sun.jndi.fscontext.RefFSContextFactory" and downloading the File System Context jar (from http://java.sun.com/products/jndi/downloads/index.html and then adding the fscontext.jar and providerutil.jar files into the classpath).

But I still can't get the environment to work as I still don't quite understand the first part of my problem - and hence I'm getting a javax.naming.NameNotFoundException:
java:comp/env/resource-ref-name-entry
 exception when I run now.

Anyone?

Thanks
Alan Received on Thu Aug 05 2004 - 12:50:28 CDT