06502 - char string buffer too small error

From: <dn_perl_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 27 Jul 2004 20:14:37 -0700

Today, I tried to run a piece of code which had run before but got an error.

Contents of myfile.sql are :

declare
my_str char(2) ;
my_number integer ;
begin
my_number := 15 ;
my_str := to_char(my_number , '00') ;
end ;
/

When I run @myfile.sql from sqlplus, I get the following error : ORA-06502: PL/SQL: numeric or value error: character string buffer too small
ORA-06512: at line 6

The script runs properly if I declare my_str as char(3) instead of char(2). But I know it used to run with my_str as char(2) only. What could be the matter? Do I have to check whether character-set or some such thing of the environment I am working in has changed?

Thanks in advance. Received on Tue Jul 27 2004 - 22:14:37 CDT