How to have OracleOraHome92TNSListener not conflict with Tomcat?

From: Developer <develop_at_develop.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 21:07:55 -0600

Hi Folks,
I'm not an administrator. I bluffed my way thru the Oracle 9i installation on my PC last year (Using windows 2000). I have 2 Windows services started (configured to start on startup) OracleOraHome92TNSListener and my own instance

Tonight, I installed Tomcat 5.0 and when I attempted to start up Tomcat, I get the following
exception:

Jul 27, 2004 8:57:46 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina start SEVERE: Catalina.start:
LifecycleException: Protocol handler start failed: java.net.BindException: Addr
ess already in use: JVM_Bind:8080

        at
org.apache.coyote.tomcat5.CoyoteConnector.start(CoyoteConnector.java: 1529)

My OracleOraHome92TNSListener has that address in use. I stopped the OracleOraHome92TNSListener service, restarted Tomcat and it worked. Ironically, I was
able to (with Tomcat already running) restart the OracleOraHome92TNSListener servicer
and it started up without any problems. I was able to go into SQLPlus and do my thing.
I was able to hit http://localhost:8080 and see the Tomcat page come up so I was convinced
Tomcat and Oracle were using different ports.

Everything looked ok. So I shut down Tomcat and type in http://localhost:8080, This time
the Oracle admin page came up :-( Could not restart Tomcat without shutting down the
OracleOraHome92TNSListener. Apparently, I need OracleOraHome92TNSListener running at all
times if I want to connect to my database.

Is there a way to configure OracleOraHome92TNSListener to not use http://localhost:8080
so that I can have that reserved for Tomcat?

By the way (Oracle novice here), what is the purpose of OracleOraHome92TNSListener ? I obviously need to have it running if I want to be able to connect to my database.

My goal is to do some experimenting with Struts (using Tomcat) and be able to have the struts application access
the Oracle database. This is why I need to have both the Tomcat instance and the Oracle service (and
OracleOraHome92TNSListener) running at the same time.

thanks in advance!!! Received on Tue Jul 27 2004 - 22:07:55 CDT