Re: Oracle Temp table help

From: Ana C. Dent <anacedent_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 02:12:40 GMT

"temp table help" <temp_at_temptable.com> wrote in news:10gbdk4mj3quc6c_at_corp.supernews.com:

> I'm trying to learn how to create a temp table as well as to specify
> whether it's session or transaction scope.
>
> I'm coming up empty in terms of finding a good web page that describes
> this process. The one's that I have found
> want you to pay a monthly fee. The oracle concepts manual that I
> downloaded did not provide me with sufficient
> information.
>
> Just want to see an example of how to create the 2 types of temp
> tables and how to play around with adding/deleting rows from it.
>
> Also, in the past, I used to work with Informix. We were constantly
> creating/dropping temp tables on-the-fly. I heard that is not
> the best way in Oracle (and it is recommended against doing so). The
> only thing that's "slightly" disturbing about creating temp tables
> "and leaving their definition in the data dictionary on a permant
> basis" once rather than "on-the-fly" is that there could be alot of
> these definitions in the data dictionary if you have a system that
> requires many temp tables of different types (ie, like a
> scrubber/loader or a system with alot of staging data tables).
>
> thanks again!!!

What problem are you really trying to solve?

It sounds like you have a solution and are in search of a problem.

When your only tool is a hammer, all your problems are thought to be nails.

A hammer is not the best choice of tool to remove a screw.

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96540/toc.htm

http://asktom.oracle.com & do a keyword search

http://otn.oracle.com/pls/db92/db92.docindex?remark=homepage Received on Mon Jul 26 2004 - 21:12:40 CDT