Re: Difference between a database and a schema

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 22:50:53 -0700

Dummy wrote:
> Hello all:
>
> Can someone point me to a web-site that explains the difference between
> a database and a schema?
>
> When you go into Toad and see the login screen
>
> Database:
> User / Schema
>
> Maybe a document that explains how a database has many schemas and
> users?
>
> thanks again...

In Oracle these are two entirely different concepts and I heartily endorse Sybrand's suggestion that you read the Concepts documents at http://tahiti.oracle.com.

But until then:

The database is the physical files.
The user is a user that can connect to the database The schema is the objects owned by a user

And TOAD's login screen badly misuses the words as you can not log into a database ... only into an instance.

Daniel Morgan Received on Mon Jul 19 2004 - 00:50:53 CDT