character checking

From: Daniel <test_at_test.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 11:11:53 +0100

Hi.

Oracle 8i, 8.1.7.4

Using Sqlplus I am looking for a way to check for non alpha numeric characters in a column.

Up to now I have been checking for just one or two characters using the INSTR function.

select text
from table
where INSTR(text, '&' ,1 ,1) >= 1;

select text
from table
where INSTR(text, '+' ,1 ,1) >= 1;

But I'm wondering if there is a better way than to check for each character?

Many thanks,

--
Daniel