win2k: odbc to oracle-db

From: Alexander Haid <alexander.haid_at_leonhardlang.at>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 15:58:02 +0200

Hi all.

I want to create an ODBC connection from my win2k PC to an Oracle DB (version 9.2.0.1.0) on another server (Linux, Suse) in our network. I realised that it is not easy...

I'm lost in OCI Client? Oracle Client? Universal Insatller? Listener? TNS???
Ahhhhhh!!!! Please help!!

I'd like to discribe what I did untill now: I downloaded the 340MB package named 10g_win32_client form the Oracle Homepage. I installed it in the 'Administrator'-mode. Then the ODBC-Driver got installed too.
Based on that ODBC-Driver I thought to arrange an DSN in win2k ODBC-Manager. But I need an TNS for doing that. According to the Oracle-Help-file I need to create an TNS with the 'Oracle Net Manager'. As soon as I've understood that it is the server name of the oracle mashine in the format: server_name.domain. But the Net Manager doesn't accapt that name as proper?!

Can anyone tell me whether I am on the right way? Do I have to install an OCI Client? Or is it included in the package I installed?

Thx, alex Received on Wed Jul 14 2004 - 08:58:02 CDT