Re: Oracle Client @ Windows: ORA-12154 when calling from path with brackets "("

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 8 Jul 2004 15:56:01 -0700

"André Hartmann" <andrehartmann_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<40ecf546$1_at_olaf.komtel.net>...
> "Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > André Hartmann wrote:
> >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I tested and found that even Oracle client applications like SQL*Plus
> act
> > > that way. when I copy sqlplus.exe to a directory that has "(", it wont
> > > connect. When I copy it to a directory that has no "(" it will still
> work!
> > >
> > > Now my questions are these:
> > >
> > > (1) Has anyone observed that before ?
> > >
> > > André
> > > :)
> >
> > Probably not because other than having a death wish I can't imagine what
> > would drive any person to create a directory name with parentheses in it.

Probably the same thing that drives them to create filenames with [1] in them?

> > Why are you doing this to yourself?
>
> Its not me doing this to myself. If it was for me all file and directory
> names could simply consist of letters, digits and underscore. The problem is
> that
>
> (A) Microsoft file systems support space, (, ) and others in their file and
> directory names and
> (B) The customer expercts us to deliver applications that are windows
> compliant, meaning that they install into what ever the "ProgramFiles"
> environment variable is set to (a path) and that could be anything that is
> legal under the windows filesystem used on the computer.
>
> Anyway, if there is no fix (like stated in SB's response) I am still in
> need of some "official" statement by Oracle, a document, "problem
> acknowledgement" or "feature acknowledgement" of this fact because somehow I
> have to prove to my customer that it's not my fault when our application
> (which acts as an Oracle client) does not function properly unlike all their
> other applications (which do not act as Oracle clients) do install properly
> into any path that is found in "ProgramFiles". I cant just say "It was
> posted in "comp.databases.oracle.misc" that this is just so." Maybe that is
> sufficient for me but not for a customer who pays for a fully functional
> application.

So ask Oracle. Support will expect a concise example, then they will either give an official answer or file a bug.

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96652/ch05.htm#1004874

> I hope you understand my point... on one hand we are developers or
> administrators who are used to struggle with the daily odds and ends but on
> the other hand there are customers who expect the highest of service and
> would not accept an answer like "just install it elsewhere where there is no
> (". Its not an offense to anyone in the group (I am just mentioning that
> because quite frequently before in this group I have read threads where
> people explained a problem and other just tried to make them shut up by
> saying "its that way, just dont do that" not being aware that you can act
> like that to a paying customer.. at least not without having a bullet proof
> line of argumentation as to why you act that way.)

Expect no less from Oracle Support. (You can guess I've been having a bad day with them today).

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
All your software are mine.