Re: Oracle Client @ Windows: ORA-12154 when calling from path with brackets "("

From: André Hartmann <andrehartmann_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 09:18:24 +0200

"Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:1089259208.998522_at_yasure...
> André Hartmann wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I tested and found that even Oracle client applications like SQL*Plus
act
> > that way. when I copy sqlplus.exe to a directory that has "(", it wont
> > connect. When I copy it to a directory that has no "(" it will still
work!

> > Now my questions are these:
> >
> > (1) Has anyone observed that before ?
> >
> > André
> > :)
>
> Probably not because other than having a death wish I can't imagine what
> would drive any person to create a directory name with parentheses in it.
>
> Why are you doing this to yourself?

Its not me doing this to myself. If it was for me all file and directory names could simply consist of letters, digits and underscore. The problem is that

(A) Microsoft file systems support space, (, ) and others in their file and directory names and
(B) The customer expercts us to deliver applications that are windows compliant, meaning that they install into what ever the "ProgramFiles" environment variable is set to (a path) and that could be anything that is legal under the windows filesystem used on the computer.

  Anyway, if there is no fix (like stated in SB's response) I am still in need of some "official" statement by Oracle, a document, "problem acknowledgement" or "feature acknowledgement" of this fact because somehow I have to prove to my customer that it's not my fault when our application (which acts as an Oracle client) does not function properly unlike all their other applications (which do not act as Oracle clients) do install properly into any path that is found in "ProgramFiles". I cant just say "It was posted in "comp.databases.oracle.misc" that this is just so." Maybe that is sufficient for me but not for a customer who pays for a fully functional application.

  I hope you understand my point... on one hand we are developers or administrators who are used to struggle with the daily odds and ends but on the other hand there are customers who expect the highest of service and would not accept an answer like "just install it elsewhere where there is no (". Its not an offense to anyone in the group (I am just mentioning that because quite frequently before in this group I have read threads where people explained a problem and other just tried to make them shut up by saying "its that way, just dont do that" not being aware that you can act like that to a paying customer.. at least not without having a bullet proof line of argumentation as to why you act that way.)

André
:)