Re: Oracle Client @ Windows: ORA-12154 when calling from path with brackets "("

From: André Hartmann <andrehartmann_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 09:06:46 +0200

"Sybrand Bakker" <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:m7coe09ped1moja3cdhomk744ch34e92dt_at_4ax.com...
> On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 15:04:18 +0200, "André Hartmann"
> <andrehartmann_at_hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi all,
> >
> > I observed the following behaviour of a client application running
under
> >windows NT, 2000, XP when trying to connect to an oracle database via Ora
> >client 8/9/10:
> >
> > When my application is installed in a directory the path of which
contains
> >brackets "(", OCILogin throws ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service
name.
> >When I mend the path, i.e. remove all brackets, it connects fine. In
detail,
> >when MyApplConnectingToOraViaOCI.exe is installed under C:\Program
> >Files\MyAppl (Version 1.0)\, it does not work, whereas when it is
installed
> >under C:\Program Files\MyAppl Version 1.0\, it does work. Ora client is
> >installed under C:\ORANT.
> >
> > I tested and found that even Oracle client applications like SQL*Plus
act
> >that way. when I copy sqlplus.exe to a directory that has "(", it wont
> >connect. When I copy it to a directory that has no "(" it will still
work!

> > Now my questions are these:
> >
> >(1) Has anyone observed that before ?
> >(2) Is this a documented bug or feature ?
> >(3) Is there a fix ?
> >(4) Is there an official statement, document by Oracle saying what are
> >"illegal" characters to the client even though the file system would
allow
> >them ?
> >
> > Thanks a lot,
> >
> >André
> >:)
> >

> 1 Oracle has never supported 'long filenames'

What do you mean by 'long filenames' ? You certainly dont refer to the length of the path because the problem arises even when the directory is simply named "C:\(hello)" which is pretty short.

> 2 it is a feature

What feature is it ? I mean the way I understand it a feature has a use, purpose and quality gain. What is it here ?

> 3 there is no fix
> 4 Likely this is documented in the Windows specific documentation.

I didnt find it mentioned.. but maybe I just didnt search by the correct key words. Any suggestions or pointers ?