Oracle Client @ Windows: ORA-12154 when calling from path with brackets "("

From: André Hartmann <andrehartmann_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 15:04:18 +0200

Hi all,

  I observed the following behaviour of a client application running under windows NT, 2000, XP when trying to connect to an oracle database via Ora client 8/9/10:

  When my application is installed in a directory the path of which contains brackets "(", OCILogin throws ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name. When I mend the path, i.e. remove all brackets, it connects fine. In detail, when MyApplConnectingToOraViaOCI.exe is installed under C:\Program Files\MyAppl (Version 1.0)\, it does not work, whereas when it is installed under C:\Program Files\MyAppl Version 1.0\, it does work. Ora client is installed under C:\ORANT.

  I tested and found that even Oracle client applications like SQL*Plus act that way. when I copy sqlplus.exe to a directory that has "(", it wont connect. When I copy it to a directory that has no "(" it will still work!

  Now my questions are these:

(1) Has anyone observed that before ?
(2) Is this a documented bug or feature ?
(3) Is there a fix ?
(4) Is there an official statement, document by Oracle saying what are
"illegal" characters to the client even though the file system would allow them ?

  Thanks a lot,

André