Re: Object table - Changes to object question confirmation

From: Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com>
Date: 7 Jul 2004 06:43:17 -0500

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004, optimaljedi_at_nospam.com wrote:
> Did some research (and tried it myself) and this is what I
> understand from object tables (or tables that have one if its
> fields being an object type) in 9i.... In order to make a
> change later on to the object, any table that is using it
> (wheter it is one field or an object table) would first have to
> be dropped. Otherwise it gives dependency errors. Is this
> correct? This doesn't make sense to me... How can it be
> expected that an object can never later be changed (adding
> another field, increasing a varchar2 field, etc). This makes
> them "useless" to me to want to use an object in a table.

Most people, and one of the main guys "Tom Kyte" recommends to use them profusely in your database application code but never uses them in his data model and one of his main reason is that which you cite. Just use relational modeling for the datamodeling. But, they are, by no means useless, they just aren't good persistence datatypes.

--
Galen Boyer