Re: Archived Log File broken

From: FlameDance <FlameDance_at_gmx.de>
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2004 01:06:40 +0200

Sybrand Bakker schrieb:

>>I believe I did it by the book. Which would be your suggested stable
>>Oracle solution? A connection between production and standby via
>>SQLNet8? That would mean instant recovery, wouldn't it? It's not what I
>>want.

> So forget about the standby mechanism then, and don't try to be
> 'smart'.

 From Oracle8i Standby Database Concepts and Administration, http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/A87860_01/doc/server.817/a76995/standbyc.htm

"Most database administrators (DBAs) choose a managed recovery environment. You may prefer a non-managed environment if:

This is what I implemented, following that document, without sqlnet8. It is labelled "manual recovery". No hacking involved.

> Of course I would use a sqlnet8 connection. Which is *exactly* what is
> described by the book. So you didn't do it by the book!

Maybe you don't know the whole documentation either? sqlnet8 is only one of two possible and documented solutions.

What I indeed did do differently than documented is using automounted NFS instead of a little copy program - that may have been a bit too optimistic. Thanks for giving that hint - however in that whole document that I quoted NFS isn't mentioned anywhere. Where does Oracle advise against it? Surely not in this context.

> If you think you know everything better, why are you posting your RTFM
> questions at all here?

Because it's a tricky problem which isn't covered in the docs? I had hoped for some educated advice from people that know things better than I do or have experienced similar problems. What else might this newsgroups purpose?

> The German people didn't really change since Hitler, didn't it?

Always amusing when people furiously score goals against themselves.

Stephan Received on Thu Jul 01 2004 - 18:06:40 CDT