Re: SQL Server to Oracel

From: <omlet_at_omlet.org>
Date: 30 Jun 2004 08:39:00 -0700

fitzjarrell_at_cox.net (David Fitzjarrell) wrote in message news:<9711ade0.0406292055.4bfaa4fe_at_posting.google.com>...
> omlet_at_omlet.org wrote in message news:<dc6c1ff0.0406291431.ef3d9f8_at_posting.google.com>...
> > joel-garry_at_home.com (Joel Garry) wrote in message
> > >
> > > "In general, if recursive calls is greater than 4 per process, the
> > > data dictionary should be optimized and segments should be rebuilt
> > > with storage clauses to have a few large extents. "
> > > - OraclE 9I Performance Tuning WITH OMLET [
> >
> > This is a product for 8i,9i,10g! So your comments are misplaced. Self
> > tuning; local management, undo segments and db_cache_size are not as
> > widely used as you think. Of course, you are entitled to your opinion;
> > you write books that you sell for $100 and as such you better be
> > giving people their money's worth.
>
> If you speak of Howard J. Rogers his books DO provide people with
> their money's worth, in many cases ten times over. Unlike you, who
> can only write degrading and obscene verbiage to those who, with good
> reason, disagree with your misguided methodology.

I seriously doubt it! apart from my misguided tech. many sections of Jo Lewis book was taken verbatim from Metalink postings. Before writing a book, tell me how many hours you worked as an oncall dba! how many production databases you have recovered! how many databases you constructed while others are watching, ....etc.

> > The book is about OMLET and tuning Oracle with OMLET; as such, only
> > queries that made it into a version are reflected in the book. It is
> > not targeting general audience.
> >

> You're still using unreliable hit ratios;

Back to Gaja's bullshit; A high ratio by itself may hide two large qtys when divided; OK! Great; Bigger than Texas!

Publish few papers about this; try CACM as I am an associate editor for it! I would publish your great works!

At the end; a bad hit ratio means you have a serious problem. your logical reads are low compared to physical reads. Again LOW LOW LOW LOW LOW LOW LOW LOW LOW LOW LOW ratio; you get it! you big jumble Q of of fat to meat! You must admit that is low ratio; and that is a problem; so get off your feet; leave your computer; play a little with your tonka; and convince yourself that LOW ratios are really terrible. Consult your mother and see what she says?

A 47 years old female like you should be having good days and happy nights. You are getting NONE. I forgot; you may converted to a male. Anyhow it always help to look for the Butt-neck.

> I wouldn't begin to consider
> that tuning Oracle. Hit ratios hide information; all ratios do. This
> percentage, that percentage ... it's all fluff and nonsense. I've
> seen databases with 99.999% db buffer cache hit ratios and they STILL
> weren't tuned because the SQL reused in that 99.999% success rate was
> simply bad to begin with. 99,999 calls to one bad SQL statement
> doesn't represent tuning to me, it represents poor methodology. Truly
> the only way to tune Oracle is to determine WHERE the bottleneck is
> (and this doesn't happen using hit ratios) and correcting that
> bottleneck, be it SQL*Net to client/SQL*Net from client times to
> poorly performing queries. Cary Millsap has the correct approach; I'm
> sorry to say you don't.
>
> > > He even thanks Digital!
> >
> > I worked for Digital Rdb - the KODA group; and joined Oracle when they
> > bought the Digital rdbms business and as such I thank Digital for
> > doing that: having access to the Rdb code; which SQL server borrowed
> > heavily. I added index only tables to Rdb and later to Oracle kernel.
> > Of course your mother helped me do that; she s*** nicely!
> >

> You joined Oracle because Oracle bought out the division you worked
> for. So, Oracle didn't choose you from the many to be among the few,
> you were included in the package price paid for an Oracle acquisition.
> This is making much more sense now.

Actually half the group joined Microsoft; half stayed and two joined Sybase. Those who joined Microsoft hit the gold pot as they released Windows 95. I joined Oracle for options and incentives and the chance to read the Oracle code.
OMLET is the fruit;

> You originally attacked Howard J. Rogers, then myself,
> then Daniel Morgan, then Joel Gary and, finally, Mladen Gogala. Any

the Soprano's mother-kickers gang!

> post any member of this group of individuals makes you see fit to
> insult, in a crude and inappropriate manner.

The posts are hardly anything compared to what you hear around the corner in north Dallas. Try Irvine?!

Well yea! you worked in A.Carter buildings and you were not in Sabre in South Lake. Are you really getting that old. I should pay you some respect. Received on Wed Jun 30 2004 - 10:39:00 CDT