Re: SQL Server to Oracel

From: <omlet_at_omlet.org>
Date: 29 Jun 2004 15:31:58 -0700

joel-garry_at_home.com (Joel Garry) wrote in message

> "In general, if recursive calls is greater than 4 per process, the
> data dictionary should be optimized and segments should be rebuilt
> with storage clauses to have a few large extents. "
> - OraclE 9I Performance Tuning WITH OMLET [

This is a product for 8i,9i,10g! So your comments are misplaced. Self tuning; local management, undo segments and db_cache_size are not as widely used as you think. Of course, you are entitled to your opinion; you write books that you sell for $100 and as such you better be giving people their money's worth.

The book is about OMLET and tuning Oracle with OMLET; as such, only queries that made it into a version are reflected in the book. It is not targeting general audience.

> He even thanks Digital!

I worked for Digital Rdb - the KODA group; and joined Oracle when they bought the Digital rdbms business and as such I thank Digital for doing that: having access to the Rdb code; which SQL server borrowed heavily. I added index only tables to Rdb and later to Oracle kernel. Of course your mother helped me do that; she s*** nicely!

> Jeez, makes me
> nostalgic.

see a doctor; perhaps the rags slipped! got the OMLET treatment or both!

> Note to all Oracle professionals: re-read the manuals for new
> versions, and pay attention to people who point out errors.

I guess Oracle profs are capable of do that by themselves. Do not insult them or their intel. with your crab.