Re: Mirrored Server for real-time computations?

From: anacedent <anacedent_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 10:57:45 -0700

(Pete Cresswell) wrote:
> I'm on a project that's implementing a bond trading system: .Net front end,
> Oracle back end.
>
> A problem has arisen that began with reporting. Many of the reports are based
> on something the bond traders call "Quality" ratings. There's also something
> called "Baskets". Holdings of various securities are processed against various
> characteristics of securities and their underlying credit support.
>
> Briefly, computing all this is quite intensive, the data behind the computations
> can change from minute-to-minute, and the results are critical.
>
> For the reporting, they've decided to create tables to receive the computations.
> Run the computations once, then fire off a batch of 50 or so reports that uses
> same.
>
> However something else has now arisin: the idea of presenting that information
> real-time in a sort of dashboard presentation. For this, we'd have to
> re-compute the valuse very often - maybe every few minutes.....and the guys who
> know Oracle say this would bring the application to it's knees.
>
> Unencumbered as I am by any reall knowledge of Oracle, it occurs to me that one
> solution would be mirroring the DB's tables to another server/processor and
> having that computer's sole mission in life to be continually computing and
> re-computing those values and constantly refreshing the tables containing same.
>
> Does this make sense to anybody?
>
> Alternatives?

Here is an idea which may or may not work for you. I will stipulate that the initial computations are "intensive". Through the use of triggers when a value changes, you "back out" the old value & "update" using the new value; which ideally would have successfully recompute the metric by doing two mathmatical operations.

HTH & YMMV Received on Sat Jun 26 2004 - 12:57:45 CDT