Re: Mirrored Server for real-time computations?

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-downwithspammersfamily_at_attbi.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 17:01:18 GMT

"(Pete Cresswell)" <x_at_y.z> wrote in message news:ea8rd05r2k780q2bsajt4irfsms2jrujs5_at_4ax.com...
> I'm on a project that's implementing a bond trading system: .Net front
end,
> Oracle back end.
>
> A problem has arisen that began with reporting. Many of the reports are
based
> on something the bond traders call "Quality" ratings. There's also
something
> called "Baskets". Holdings of various securities are processed against
various
> characteristics of securities and their underlying credit support.
>
> Briefly, computing all this is quite intensive, the data behind the
computations
> can change from minute-to-minute, and the results are critical.
>
> For the reporting, they've decided to create tables to receive the
computations.
> Run the computations once, then fire off a batch of 50 or so reports that
uses
> same.
>
> However something else has now arisin: the idea of presenting that
information
> real-time in a sort of dashboard presentation. For this, we'd have to
> re-compute the valuse very often - maybe every few minutes.....and the
guys who
> know Oracle say this would bring the application to it's knees.
>
> Unencumbered as I am by any reall knowledge of Oracle, it occurs to me
that one
> solution would be mirroring the DB's tables to another server/processor
and
> having that computer's sole mission in life to be continually computing
and
> re-computing those values and constantly refreshing the tables containing
same.

> Does this make sense to anybody?
>
> Alternatives?
> --
> PeteCresswell

You could use RAC to increase the scalability of the database. Hard to give you specifics as to the computation aspect since there isn't enough specific detail. But it is possible to put the calculations on the back end or to have an alert trigger a calculation on demand. (when the data changes) Otherwise, you are polling the data over and over and over. Then the calculation triggers when the data changes and thus traders get the information ASAP.\
Jim Received on Sat Jun 26 2004 - 12:01:18 CDT