Re: backup database using cp command

From: FlameDance <FlameDance_at_gmx.de>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 12:28:00 +0200

joe haydn schrieb:
> hi all. We're working on an oracle server, linux (suse 7.3) based, in
> migrating to a faster machine with bigger harddrive. First we plugged in the
> correctly partitioned harddrive from the new machine, then booted off the
> Oracle server via a knoppix cdrom, and mounted both hda and hdb, and did:
>

>>cp -a /mnt/orig/* /mnt/dest/

> to copy everything from the original to the new harddrive (I know this
> command is sufficient in cloning the system).
>
> The cp command gave an error to the following files pertaining to the oracle
> (9) database:
>
> exampl01.dbf
> control01.ctl
> control02.ctl
>
> It said "cp: Input/output error".

Usually, if the database is shut down correctly, the files can be copied without any problem.

The control files are often located on another disc so maybe it's some broken links - but then they shouldn't even be visible if you just copy the disc.

"Input/output error" is a very general error message, any chance to get some more details?

I doubt your theory of faulty sectors, as I would expect Oracle to complain instantly when such things occur. Or can you find anything relating to broken controlfiles in the oracle logs?

Stephan Received on Thu Jun 24 2004 - 05:28:00 CDT