Re: Oracle 9i - is it always this big

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 20:45:02 -0700

C.O.Jones wrote:

> I've been using Oracle 8i until now. I've just downloaded
> and installed Oracle 9i Personal Edition for Windows XP.
>
> Oracle 8i took up less than 2 GB on my hard drive, but
> my newly installed 9i takes up 23 GB - is this normal? If
> so, why so large?
>
> Most of the space is taken by a single file, 20.2 GB :
> C:\oracle\ora81\Apache\Apache\logs\error_log. Is this normal?
> If its wrong, how do I reduce the file to a reasonable size?

9i should install to 3GB. I have installed it numerous times and never once seen a 20.2 GB anything. But I do have one question ... what led you to think Oracle 9i Personal Edition is compatible with Windows XP?

Once installed ... more than 1/2 of the 3GB can be removed if you don't want the demos, help files, templates, etc.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu