Re: Why does Oracle cost so much?

From: Ryan Gaffuri <rgaffuri_at_cox.net>
Date: 21 Jun 2004 12:16:50 -0700

Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1085723030.893384_at_yasure>...
> Niall Litchfield wrote:
>
> > "Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message
> >
> >>I don't buy or recommend databases for matters of style or taste
> >>or to 'get chicks'. I recommend them based upon a cost benefit
> >>ratio that includes
> >

> > that's so last century that ratio analysis. You need to recommend them on an
> > elapsed time basis. Right at the moment sqlserver has wrapped the counter in
> > waiting for a new version that we are back in single figures...
>
> And until they figure out how to implement multiversioning you won't
> see one either from what I hear.
>
> They are desparately trying to implement basic Oracle functionality
> that for years they have criticized.
>
> Of course once they figure out how to do it they will give it a new
> name and claim it as "their" new and novel contribution to technology.
> But then what else is new.

Oracle isn't as expensive as you think. I know a small company that is getting ORACLE Enterprice Edition + RAC for $8,000 per server on 4-CPU Servers. It is highly negotiable. Small companies who threaten to go to SQL Server because its cheaper are getting very good deals. Only suckers are paying $30k/CPU these days. I worked for a large company and they got them down to $22k/CPU. You can get your development box at a fraction of the price.

Its not 1998 anymore. Negotiate. Threaten to go to another vendor. They will drop the price a ton. Especially if you are a small-midsize company. They need to compete with SQL Server. Received on Mon Jun 21 2004 - 14:16:50 CDT