Re: Anybody who know oracle tns packet structure?

From: Rick Wessman <Rick.WessmanNO_SPAM_at_NoOrSaPcAlMe.com>
Date: 19 Jun 2004 07:32:41 -0700

In article <cao6ti$r90$1_at_news1.kornet.net>, Simon says...

><sybrandb_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> "Simon" <WhoAmI_at_NoSpam.Com> wrote in message
>> > Hi there.
>> >
>> > I want to know the oracle tns packet structure.
>> > So I tried to analyze tns packet. But it's very complex.
>> >
>> > Well. Is there anybody who knew this?
>> > If someone has experience, please give some information.
>> > I want to anythings ok. sources, documents and advise...
>> > Please help me..
>> >
>> > Thank you.
>> >
>> > have a nice day!
>>
>> The protocol is propietary and partly described on Metalink.
>> As there is a documented API, I can not see why you need to reverse
>> engineer TNS (which is btw expressly forbidden by your license)
>>
>> Sybrand Bakker
>> Senior Oracle DBA
>
>Thank your interest about my posting.
>
>I didn't cracking or breaking the TNS protocol.
>I wanna make a programs which encrypt certain data field by automatically
>without any modify SQL syntax.
>I knew plugin functions for the Oracle. But it isn't satisfied to me.
>So I think that if I parsing the TNS packet.
>If I can to do, I can encryt certain data field automatically.
>
>So I posted question.
>
>I don't know that it is good idea or correct approach.
>
>Could you help how can I approach?
>If you have some related information, Please tell me.
>
>Thank you.
>
>Have a nice day.
>
>P.S. I'm sorry multi posting... ;-)

The TNS protocol is only available under a non-disclosure agreement with Oracle.

As Daniel suggested, the best way to encrypt data on the network is to use Oracle Advanced Security.

If you want to encrypt data in the database, you can use the DBMS_OBFUSCATION_TOOLKIT (9i and earlier) or DBMS_CRYPTO (10g).

                                       Rick

                                Rick Wessman
                                Oracle Corporation
     The opinions expressed above are mine and do not necessarily reflect
                         those of Oracle Corporation.