Index characteristics

From: kstahl <ktsahl_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 12:54:28 -0400

When an index is build on a column, the degree to which it helps with efficieny is based on just how much variance there is between the values. So, this would mean that if the values were large and were virtually random it would help queries much more then if an index were build on a char field that might only have two possible values.

Ok, so I know the theory, but what is the proper terminology for this. I can describe the phenomenon, but I don't remember the exact word that should be used. Is it variability? Received on Tue Jun 15 2004 - 11:54:28 CDT