Cant connect to Oracle & java problem

From: C.O.Jones <nospam.ple_at_se>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 01:15:03 GMT

Using Oracle 8.1.7 Personal edition on Windows XP.

I was experimenting with the DBA tools. I first of all tried to adjust the memory used by my database. Then I attempted to shutdown and restart my database. It froze mid shutdown, and I was unable to re-connect.

After trying everything I could think of to restart it, I finally tried uninstalling and re-installing Oracle.I managed to trash my registry during the uninstall, and had to reinstall Windows. Even after reinstall I am unable to get Oracle working. When I try to connect with any of the standard logins in DBAStudio I get no response at all, it just freezes.

Another problem, which may be related, or could be totally different is a messagebox that constantly pops up saying telling me that java.exe has to close. I close the messagebox, but it pops up again a few seconds later. I can't kill the java process in Windows Task Manager, it keeps restarting.

The message says:

---------------java.exe

java.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

If you were in the middle of something the information you were working on might be lost.

For more information click here

[Debug]                                         [Close]

Pressing click here gives me:

java.exe

Error signature
szAppName : java.exe     szAppVer : 0.0.0.0     szModName : symcjit.dll
szModVer : 3.10.0.107     offset : 0005f974

To view technical information about the error report click here [Close]

pressing click here gives me

The following files will be included in this error report C:\DOCUME~1\CHARLES~1.HOM\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERD5.tmp.dir00\java.exe.mdmp C:\DOCUME~1\CHARLES~1.HOM\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERD5.tmp.dir00\appcompat.txt

[Close]

I've scanned for viruses and trojans, no dice there.

Any ideas what's happening? This is driving me crazy. Received on Sat Jun 12 2004 - 20:15:03 CDT