Re: HTTP Server / OC4J

From: anacedent <anacedent_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 19:11:33 -0700

Oradba Linux wrote:

> "anacedent" <anacedent_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
>

>>See answers inline below.
>>
>>Oradba Linux wrote:
>>
>>>I have installed Oracle 9ir2 db software and also the http server . I

> have
>
>>>turned on http server using apachectl . The http server
>>>administrator's guide talks about using dcmctl . But i dont have dcmctl
>>>installed in my installation . Is it part of 9iAS not part
>>>of OHS that is bundled with the database software ?
>>
>>dcmctl comes with 9iAS R2.
>>(FWIW - with 9iAS R2 apachectl has been disabled & can NOT be used to
>>statr or stop Apache).
>>I've never seen it bundled with the DB product.
>>

>>>Secondly , the http server administrator's guide talks about mod_oc4j

> turned
>
>>>on by default . I dont want to use jserv . I dont see a mod_oc4j.conf
>>>installed . Is this also part of 9iAS and not part of 9i database

> software ?
>
>>OC4J => Oracle Container For (4) Java
>>OC4J is a component of 9iAS R2 and NOT part of the DB product.
>>

>>>Thirdly , there is a oc4j software that is standalone . Can i install it
>>>with my existing 9ir2 db software and will be able to deploy servlets ?

> This
>
>>>is purely for learning and testing purposes . Does oc4j software need
>>>mod_oc4j to communicate to the Apache layer ?
>>
>>Kind of.
>>
>>client <---> Apache <----> mod_oc4j <---> oc4j
>>
>>V9.0.3 is a J2EE (only) version of 9iAS R2 (no Forms, Reports, Portal,

> etc.)
>
> Is mod_oc4j part of oracle http server ?
>
> or is part of oc4j ?
>
> Could somebody point me to documentation for installing standalone oc4j ? I
> want to use it with oracle http server .
> I am oracle 9i R2

mod_oc4j is an Apache "plugin"; similar to mod_perl; and only available with 9iAS R2 or 10gAS. AFAIK "oc4j" is Oracle's equivalent to TomCat or other "Application Server" software.
IIRC, Oracle's AS is based upon the ORION AS which is/was Open Source (at one time) from a Sandinavian company. Received on Fri Jun 11 2004 - 21:11:33 CDT