Re: Listener Won't Start

From: Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 19:27:57 +0200

Bill Van Dyk wrote:

> I'm having trouble getting the listener to start on this system:
>
> Windows 2000 Server
> Oracle 8.1.7
>
> I had previously installed and uninstalled Oracle on this machine and
> I'm wondering if that is the source of the problem. Anyway, here's the
> error message, when I try: lsnrctl start
>
> Starting tnslsnr: please wait...
>
> Failed to start service, error 3.
> TNS-12536: TNS:operation would block
> TNS-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error
> TNS-00506: Operation would block
> 32-bit Windows Error: 997: Unknown error
>
> I do love those Windows "unknown error" messages. It's like when you
> call someone on the phone and ask, "are you there?"

There might be anotherone running? The 9 version is clear about the cause:

C:\Documents and Settings\frankbo>lsnrctl start

LSNRCTL for 32-bit Windows: Version 9.2.0.4.0 - Production Copyright (c) 1991, 2002, Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.

Starting tnslsnr: please wait...

Service OracleOraHome92TNSListener already running. TNS-12536: TNS:operation would block
  TNS-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error
   TNS-00506: Operation would block
    32-bit Windows Error: 997: Unknown error

The error stack is exactly the same...

Another cause could be the port the listener uses is used by another process than the listener; netstat -a -n should reveal something like:
  TCP 0.0.0.0:1521 0.0.0.0:0 Listening

Note the :1521 - it's the default listener port.

As you had 8i before, check your services for double listener entries.

--

Regards,
Frank van Bortel