Re: Confused over forward slashes under windows - anybody?

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 7 Jun 2004 14:52:30 -0700

Paul <paul_at_not.a.chance.ie> wrote in message news:<MPG.1b2e6db06a33808398994c_at_news1.eircom.net>...
> sybrandb_at_yahoo.com says...
>

> > > OK - a quick test shows that to work. My question is *_why_* does Oracle
> > > choose to have *_some_ and not all of its services specified in such a
> > > manner rather than using the windows convention?
>
> > Because Oracle is an Unix product, and Windoze allows the Unix
> > conventions, as it stole several DOS-features from Unix.
>

> Fine. My question was really more about *_why_* Oracle decided to retain
> one service (out of the nine I have on my machine) using the Unix style
> convention, whereas all the others use the Windows convention?
>

> > If you don't like it, switch to a different product, where you will
> > find other problems.
>

> It's not that I don't like it, I'm just curious as to the logic which
> led to such an approach, or was it just a simple oversight on the part
> of somebody somewhere?

I wouldn't know, but I would guess oversight. We are lucky things are QA'd enough to work, I don't think O puts much resources into making little obscure things consistent as long as they do work. But if you filed a bug, maybe it would help someone's productivity metrics! :-)

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20040605/news_1b5oracle.html