Re: Recommendations

From: Volker Hetzer <volker.hetzer_at_ieee.org>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 17:47:12 +0200

"Bill Van Dyk" <trash_at_christian-horizons.org> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:40C488DA.10007_at_christian-horizons.org...
> No, they don't need any special initialization parameters. But we
> can't upgrade to 9 or 10 because our primary application (payroll) is
> not supported beyond 8.1.7 (yet).\
>
> Interesting stuff on RAID 5, which I was not aware of.
>
> I presume we should have at least a distinct table space for each of the
> major apps?

Possibly, with the datafiles spread out to get the best i/o performance.

> Also, I am not totally clear on the difference between an "instance" and
> a "database". It looks to me like they are nearly the same thing. Is
> it possible we would want a separate database for an application, but
> not a separate instance?

The relationship between database and instance is a bit like between program and process.
IIRC a database is the data and all the files and an instance is basically the runtime stuff you are working with.
So, typically you get one instance per database unless you run RAC where several instances access one database.
I don't think it's possible to have one instance manage several databases.

Lots of Greetings!
Volker Received on Mon Jun 07 2004 - 10:47:12 CDT