Re: Puzzle with tablespaces in the HR sample schema.

From: Paul <paul_at_not.a.chance.ie>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 11:42:03 +0100

plsql_at_petefinnigan.com says...

> It is an Index Organized Table. So i would guess the tablespace name for
> the index storage can be found in dba_indexes.

SELECT owner, index_name, index_type, tablespace_name FROM dba_indexes
WHERE owner = 'HR';

Shows that the tablespace is also EXAMPLE.

Thanks for the pointer (!) on IOTs - I hadn't reached that page in the book yet! Seems that IOTs are the choice for small, infrequently modified lookup tables such as Country, State, County, Salutation, PaymentType & the like.

I'm still not sure that I fully understand the logic of the tablespace_name not appearing in the

SELECT owner, table_name, tablespace_name FROM dba_tables

query, because it is a table and does have a tablespace, but I'll spend more time looking at that when I arrive at page 220 - thanks again. I think I sort of see - it's that the table is stored purely as an index, but I still think that the tablespace_name should appear in the above query.

> hth

Indeed it has.

Paul...

--
plinehan  y_a_h_o_o  and d_o_t  com
C++ Builder 5 SP1, Interbase 6.0.1.6 IBX 5.04 W2K Pro

"XML avoids the fundamental question of what we should do,
by focusing entirely on how we should do it."

quote from http://www.metatorial.com