Re: Confused over forward slashes under windows - anybody?

From: Paul <paul_at_not.a.chance.ie>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 18:45:37 +0100

joel-garry_at_home.com says...

> > OracleohomePagingServer
> > G:\oracle\ora92/bin/pagntsrv.exe
> > Why the forward slashes in the names of these services?

> I asked support that when I noticed a whole lot of the conf files in
> OAS have mixtures like that, but never really got an answer. I would
> guess it has something to do with solutions to cross-platform issues
> making the difference moot.

I don't think the difference is moot. Try to create a file under windows with a '/' and you won't be allowed.

> Where do you see this? Under Properties of Manage Services?

Oracle 9.2.0.1.0 - W 2000 Pro

Settings - Control Panel - Admin tools - Services, then go down the list of services till you find

OracleohomePagingServer

then double click on that service and you get the properties, in this there is 'Path to executable' where you will find

G:\oracle\ora92/bin/pagntsrv.exe

There is a file G:\oracle\ora92\bin\pagntsrv.exe, but I can't see anything about backslashes. I did try changing to run automatically, but can't see that this made any difference. I don't want to do too much in case I screw up my system.

I am very puzzled by this - can anyone explain what is going on?

Thanks for your interest.

Paul...

--
plinehan  y_a_h_o_o  and d_o_t  com
C++ Builder 5 SP1, Interbase 6.0.1.6 IBX 5.04 W2K Pro

"XML avoids the fundamental question of what we should do,
by focusing entirely on how we should do it."

quote from http://www.metatorial.com