Re: Why does Oracle cost so much?

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 3 Jun 2004 14:24:53 -0700

Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1085790194.619760_at_yasure>...
> Hans Forbrich wrote:

> >>Scalability could refer to many different metrics. You make an allusion
> >>to only one of them. Another measure might be how many other women are
> >>in the male's life at one time. And having a vivid imagination I can
> >>think of a few more.
> >

> > Note that I did not specify the unit of measurement. You read the allusion
> > [to only one] into my question.
> >
> > For example Size of Shared Pool, as you use, is valid _in this instance_ as
> > a potential measure of scalability even if the measure is non-traditional.
> > I can think of a few others.
> >
> > As an aside, in this case I suspect that the query may have to be set up
> > very carefully and possibly using some explicit locking, even if it does
> > inhibit concurrency. I'd also have to suggest watching the SORT_AREA_SIZE
> > very carefully. Of course that depends entirely on the data set - as often
> > discussed, it's important to know your data.
> >
> > One challenge I see is in definition of performance, as 'fastest completion'
> > might not be the most desirable objective. I guess that proves the
> > importance of a documented SLA.
> >
> > /Hans
>
> So it appears that in this environment serialization might be considered
> a positive while clustering and sharing blocks a negative?

Depends on your view of cleaning out dirty blocks. If people are inserting into dual anyways who can predict what will happen? As for clustering, isn't that just a marketing rename for parallel server? And of course, viewing women as objects may have its own negative.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.courttv.com/trials/soliah/slahistory_ctv.html