Problem with Oracle installing on W2000 Pro.

From: Paul <paul_at_not.a.chance.ie>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 01:39:17 +0100

Hi all,

I'm now seriously getting down to trying to work on Oracle and have bumped into my first real problem.

I did an uninstall and reinstall and it doesn't appear to have worked properly.

I have the .zips on F, and it was previously installed on F. I want(ed) to put it on G.

The various Windows services are as follows.

OracleMTSRecoveryService
G:\oracle\ora92\bin\omtsreco.exe "OracleMTSRecoveryService" Automatic

OracleohomePagingServer
G:\oracle\ora92/bin/pagntsrv.exe
Disabled

..
.. a few cut for brevity.

OracleOraHome92TNSListener
F:\oracle\ora92\BIN\TNSLSNR
**** note F drive - not G ******
Automatic

&c.

Now, I've tried *_EVERYTHING_* - deleting registry entries, searching high and low how to delete this "orphaned" service, so my reinstall will work. I could rename my Oracle home and sit through the painful uninstall and reinstall cycle again, but I don't want to do that - it's inelegant. I want to understand my system.

The symptoms of this are "No TNS listener" when I try to use the Enterprise Management Console, logging in as SYS and/or SYSTEM. I can connect with scott and tiger, but I don't really understand what's going on.

I also tried in the properties of the service to set the "F" service on failure to run the "G" drive, but this didn't work either.

Is there any way that I can get rid of this rogue service once and for all? Any tips, ideas discussion appreciated.

Paul...

p.s. as a bonus question (8-)), I'd be curious to know about the file names like
G:\oracle\ora92/bin/pagntsrv.exe
What is the meaning and function of the forward slash (i.e. normal slash) as opposed to backslash?

--
plinehan  y_a_h_o_o  and d_o_t  com
C++ Builder 5 SP1, Interbase 6.0.1.6 IBX 5.04 W2K Pro

"XML avoids the fundamental question of what we should do,
by focusing entirely on how we should do it."

quote from http://www.metatorial.com