Import / export protocol

From: D. Alvarado <laredotornado_at_zipmail.com>
Date: 1 Jun 2004 06:14:25 -0700

Hello,

   I am stumped by this question on a DBA exam, which reads, "Logical backup strategy consists of full exports on Thursday mornings, cumulative exports on Monday mornings, and incrementals on all other mornings. The db crashes on Tuesday afternoon. After re-creating the database from script, which of the following exports would be imported first?

  1. Export taken the prior Monday
  2. Export taken Tuesday
  3. Export taken the prior Thursday
  4. The database is unrecoverable"

According to the answer, "B" is the first step, with INCTYPE set to SYSTEM, and then "From there, you will apply the most recent full export taken Thursday, followed by the most recent cumulative export taken Monday, followed by all incrementals taken since Monday."

My question is, shouldn't you want to do the full export first? If you imported the stuff on Tuesday first, wouldn't you overwrite that with a full export imported next?

Thanks for any clarity anyone can provide, - Received on Tue Jun 01 2004 - 08:14:25 CDT