Re: Why does Oracle cost so much?

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 22:43:44 -0700

Niall Litchfield wrote:

> "Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message
>

>>I don't buy or recommend databases for matters of style or taste
>>or to 'get chicks'. I recommend them based upon a cost benefit
>>ratio that includes

> that's so last century that ratio analysis. You need to recommend them on an
> elapsed time basis. Right at the moment sqlserver has wrapped the counter in
> waiting for a new version that we are back in single figures...

And until they figure out how to implement multiversioning you won't see one either from what I hear.

They are desparately trying to implement basic Oracle functionality that for years they have criticized.

Of course once they figure out how to do it they will give it a new name and claim it as "their" new and novel contribution to technology. But then what else is new.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
(replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply)