Re: Need help with hierarchical query

From: Phil Bewig <pbewig_at_swbell.net>
Date: 25 May 2004 08:18:09 -0700

"Michel Cadot" <micadot{at}altern{dot}org> wrote in message news:<40b24e21$0$3033$636a15ce_at_news.free.fr>...
> "Phil Bewig" <pbewig_at_swbell.net> a écrit dans le message de
> >
> > What I am trying to do seems similar to the SYS_CONNECT_BY_PATH string
> > that Oracle provides, but I need to put the elements of the hierarchy
> > into fields, not a string. I also note that queries using CONNNECT BY
> > PRIOR return one row for each input row at each level of the hierarchy,
> > which is not what I need.
> >
> > This sounds simple, but I am stumped. Can anyone help?
>
> Cut up the SYS_CONNECT_BY_PATH string.

That was my first thought. But the problem is that the hierarchical query returns too many records. I think the solution will likely involve some set of nested sub-queries, one nesting for each level of the hierarchy, but I'm having trouble working out the details.

Phil Received on Tue May 25 2004 - 10:18:09 CDT