Re: insufficient privileges to delete a database

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 17:27:14 GMT

OttawaWest wrote:

> I created a databse in ora9i and then tried to delete it as (system,
> manager) from Database Configuration Assistant. but i got message saying:
> ORA-01031: Insufficient Privileges.
>
> Can anyone tell me what should i do and why the user 'system' could not
> delete a database? then who can do it? Thanks in advance.
>
> Rob

Your question scares me.

In my experience, most of the time this question is asked, the individual really wants to be creating a new SCHEMA, not a DATABASE. That, in turn, s a function of not understanding the Oracle internals nor the Oracle terminology well enough to make an informed decision.

Since you are relatively new (otherwise you wouldn't need to ask this question), I heartily recommend you look through the tutorials at http://otn.oracle.com/obe and look at the Concepts Manual at http://docs.oracle.com (drill into the version you have, view library and look at the list of books).

HTH
/Hans Received on Fri May 21 2004 - 12:27:14 CDT