Re: restore database

From: Glen A Stromquist <glen_stromquist_at_no_spam_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 14:33:15 GMT

Turkbear wrote:

> "Adas" <a_at_a.com> wrote:
>

>>Tkx for an answer. It's worse then I tought ;-(
>>
>>So now I have to go to AIX once more and make backup of database using RMAN
>>? It's far away ;-(
>>
>>Which is the simplest way to do it in 8?
>>Was there RMAN in 8 database ?
>>Should I made backup or export in 8 instalation ?
>>
>>Can I restore database from 8 to 10 ?
>>
>>Please help once more.
>>
>>Adam
>>

> You need to recreate the original ( on the AIX system; sorry, only way)
> Export ( FULL) from that system
>
> Create an Oracle 8.1.6 installation on some Windows XP workstation/server.
> ( Because you will need to use an IMP of the same Oracle version as the EXP used)
> Import the database from your EXP created .dmp file
> ( when moving it to the Windows box, be sure to FTP it in BINARY mode)
> Once that is done, upgrade that 8.1.6 to 10G
> ( Better yet, use your existing 10G EXP command to export ( once again ) the data from your new 8.1.6 Windows Oracle
> database....Then IMP it , using the 10G version IMP command)
>
> RMAN is not a factor...
>

> hth

<snip>

The way I understand it exports are "upward compatible", in that you

dont need to use 8.x imp if the export was done in 8.x, 9.x (or higher)
imp will work fine. I have imported from 7.3.3 (export done in 7.3.3)
into 9.0.2 and 8.1.x using both 8 and 9 import utilities. So you *don't*
need to use the IMP of the same Oracle version as the EXP used.

Going the other way however, is a different story, exporting from newer release than the release you are importing into, then you need to use the same EXP version as the IMP you are using.

More info on this can be found at:
http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96530/expimp.htm#MIGNG006

hth Received on Thu May 20 2004 - 09:33:15 CDT