Re: What are these locks?

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 15:41:55 GMT

Webster wrote:

> In 9i, when you update a child record, the parent record gets a read
> lock. However, when we do it, we get read locks on records in the
> parent table and 70-100 other tables, none of which have referential
> constraints with the child table. What could cause that?
>
> Thanks for any info.

Guessing - since you don't bother to post examples of these '70-100 tables', the type of locks, the database version, and so on:

I suspect these are dictionary locks. After all, it would be somewhat dramatic if you had a query running and someone changes the table structure (or perhaps dropped the table) while you were looking at the data.

/Hans Received on Wed May 19 2004 - 10:41:55 CDT