Re: restore database

From: Turkbear <john.g_at_dot.spamfree.com>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 14:04:08 -0500

"Adas" <a_at_a.com> wrote:

>Tkx for an answer. It's worse then I tought ;-(
>
>So now I have to go to AIX once more and make backup of database using RMAN
>? It's far away ;-(
>
>Which is the simplest way to do it in 8?
>Was there RMAN in 8 database ?
>Should I made backup or export in 8 instalation ?
>
>Can I restore database from 8 to 10 ?
>
>Please help once more.
>
>Adam

You need to recreate the original ( on the AIX system; sorry, only way) Export ( FULL) from that system

Create an Oracle 8.1.6 installation on some Windows XP workstation/server. ( Because you will need to use an IMP of the same Oracle version as the EXP used) Import the database from your EXP created .dmp file ( when moving it to the Windows box, be sure to FTP it in BINARY mode) Once that is done, upgrade that 8.1.6 to 10G  ( Better yet, use your existing 10G EXP command to export ( once again ) the data from your new 8.1.6 Windows Oracle database....Then IMP it , using the 10G version IMP command)

RMAN is not a factor...

hth