Re: restore database

From: Turkbear <john.g_at_dot.spamfree.com>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 09:02:32 -0500

"Adas" <a_at_a.com> wrote:

>Hi all
>
>I have files from Oracle database (8.1.6.3) from AIX.
>This is:
> control0x.ctl
> *.dbf
>
>Is it possible to restore this files to Oracle on Windows XP running any
>other version of Oracle Database when backup was made as copy of dabatase
>files.
>Is following errors caused by version difference ? I tried to restore it to
>10.1
>
>When I tried to make restore i got following error:
>
>Error in Restoring Control File
>Recovery Manager: Release 10.1.0.2.0 - Production Copyright (c) 1995, 2004,
>Oracle. All rights reserved. RMAN> connected to target database: orcl (not
>mounted) using target database controlfile instead of recovery catalog RMAN>
>executing command: SET CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP FORMAT RMAN> 2> 3> 4>
>allocated channel: oem_restore channel oem_restore: sid=160 devtype=DISK
>Starting restore at 04/05/18 recovery area destination:
>C:\oracle\product\10.1.0\flash_recovery_area database name (or lock name
>space) used for search: ORCL channel oem_restore: no autobackups found in
>the recovery area autobackup search outside recovery area not attempted
>because DBID was not set released channel: oem_restore RMAN-00571:
>=========================================================== RMAN-00569:
>=============== ERROR MESSAGE STACK FOLLOWS =============== RMAN-00571:
>=========================================================== RMAN-03002:
>failure of restore command at 05/18/2004 15:16:53 RMAN-06172: no autobackup
>found or specified handle is not a valid copy or piece RMAN> Oracle instance
>shut down RMAN> connected to target database (not started) Oracle instance
>started database mounted Total System Global Area 171966464 bytes Fixed Size
>787988 bytes Variable Size 145750508 bytes Database Buffers 25165824 bytes
>Redo Buffers 262144 bytes RMAN> Recovery Manager complete.
>
>Please help
>
>Adam

In short, No ....In your situation they are useless. ( BTW, unless RMAN creates the backup, it can not restore it - so even without the other major problems you have, that would not have worked even if the versions were the same)

The OS version/type and the Database version are all vital to the use of those files so they will ONLY work if you replicate the AIX system ( including the exact Oracle software locations) and place the .dbf files in the locations specified in the .ctl file, and attempt to start the instance...( I would not hold out much hope, even then)