OO4O Bulk Inserts

From: Kevin Crosbie <caoimhinocrosbai_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 08:00:50 GMT

Hi,

We are converting an existing Visual Basic system from using an ADODB connection to using OO4O.

The reason for the conversion is to allow bulk inserting as inserts were becoming too often, i.e. 1000 inserts /second. Since VB is running single threaded, it needs to block until the ADODB Connection returns from the database.

I have a few questions for any of you with experience in what I am trying to do:
* Is it better to use Parameter Arrays or to pass an array to a PL/SQL
procedure and do the insert on the database side (I'm interested in if OO4O actually does the insert on the database side or if it does multiple calls to insert from the client side)
* When creating a Parameter Array you must specify the array size. I can
think of two ways of getting the array size:

        Create a ParamArray of 10,000 rows.
        Use a separate VB Array array to store my values, altering it's
dimension by rediming until insert time, then at insert time, do an addtable using the Ubound of my local array, add all the elements and then do an insert. After insert, remove the table.

    I would like to know what is more efficient or what way was intended, I can't seem to find any examples.

Let me know if anyone has any thoughts on these.

Best Regards,

Kevin Received on Tue May 18 2004 - 03:00:50 CDT