Re: Which Version of Oracle RDBMS to use for a new system?

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 14:06:11 GMT

Michael Gast wrote:

> With my
> experience in former projects i know that deeply understanding the
> architecture and using the special features of the RDBMS speeds up the
> implementation process and results in 'better' - that means faster, more
> reliable, more secure, etc. - systems.

I find this are the 'marketing' measures, useful to any sales person. The best measure tends to be translation of the above to the cost (and cost savings) for a specific customer or industry. (Let's face it - faster can be acomplished by a faster CPU or more memory, etc. and more secure might be simply patching.)

> Up to now, there is no decision in regard to the Oracle version made in
> this project.
>
> The only point i wanted to ask for is: Does we take high risks when we
> decide to implement for Oracle 10g? Are there any known issues with e.g.
> reliability, speed etc?

Since you have scanned the 10g new features document and not found anything exciting to help your project, IMO, develop towards the 9i capabilities and you probably will be able to use 10g without change.

Since 10g Standard Edition supports RAC at no additional cost, if you do not need High Availability solutions or access to the (very useful) options such as Partitioning, Analytics or Spatial, design specifically toward Standard Edition and save your customers money. (They can always switch to Enterprise as it's the same code base!)

However, realize that going to 10g should not be a high risk. At this time I have not seen any issues with performance and the security seems to have been strengthened again. Any reliability issues (and there seem to be very few) that may be associated with a 'dot one' release should be resolved by the time you are ready to go to market.

/Hans Received on Mon May 17 2004 - 09:06:11 CDT