Re: Why does Oracle cost so much?

From: Markus Hölzle <mhoelzle_at_gmx.de>
Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 18:14:26 +0200

"Sybrand Bakker" <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.verwijderdit.demon.nl> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:hq0aa0tb2abht1v2hta2qjpap7npu9esqo_at_4ax.com...
> On Fri, 14 May 2004 18:43:23 +0200, "Markus Hölzle" <mhoelzle_at_gmx.de>
> wrote:
>
> >Hello,
> >im just wondering why Oracle is so expensive and who uses it. Could
someone
> >tell me, who are the usuall buyers of Oracle and why is it so special
> >compared to other dbs?
> >Thx
> >

> Your question is just too general.
> Oracle exists in various editions, you imply Oracle is *too*
> expensive, and you don't qualify to which edition this applies nor to
> which version.
>
> The answer would simply be to do your research (I know the Germans
> posting here generally speaking don't read any document prior to
> posting) and compare the feature list of Oracle with about any
> product, including sqlserver, including the (according too many) 'so
> much better' 'free' databases there are out there.
> Those latter products (including sqlserver) will never be capable to
> be used on enterprise wide level, for datawarehouse purposes, for 7 x
> 24 operations (Also Oracle will never work 7 x 24 on any Winblows
> platform, as you have to 'patch' Winblows and reboot the system at
> least once a week).
> So: quality pays, and at its best those so called 'competitive'
> products will never leave the stage where they are now: in the toy
> stage.
> If you want to put your company data at risk: use any toy.
> If you want quality, choose Oracle.
>

> --
> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

I spend most of my time on system programming and have almost no idea about databases . I´ve seen in a newspaper, that an Oracle system costs up to 2-3 millions dollars and i was surprised, that a program can cost so much. And ur right, i did´t do any research. Received on Sat May 15 2004 - 11:14:26 CDT