Re: Which Version of Oracle RDBMS to use for a new system?

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 22:07:46 GMT

Michael Gast wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> what version of the Oracle RDBMS would you use for a new system being
> developped during the next six months? The system does not necessarily
> need any of the new features of Oracle 10g.
>
> What points for Oracle 9.2 and what for Oracle 10g?
>
> Thanks a lot for your opinions.

Look at the end user and end administrator requirements.

Also look at the development model.

If you are developing toward the 'Oracle is a highly available/scalable/reliable version of MS Access' model, then pick any supported version.

If you are using the development model as described in Thomas Kyte's Expert One on One Oracle, where you are determined to save yourself development cost and your customer maintenance and administration cost, then develop toward the full set of capabilities in 9i and look at the features of 10g to see whther you can further expand on the savings using the 10g feature set.

My suggestion - start by reading (and understanding) Kyte's book. Then read the New Features doc for 9i. Then read the new features doc for 10g. Then start you development plans.

My fear - you've already decided the model and just want a super SQL base to hand back results of SQL queries rathen than hand back answers to problems. In which case 9i likely will do quite nicely.

/Hans Received on Fri May 14 2004 - 17:07:46 CDT