Re: Why does Oracle cost so much?

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.verwijderdit.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 19:41:38 +0200

On Fri, 14 May 2004 18:43:23 +0200, "Markus Hölzle" <mhoelzle_at_gmx.de> wrote:

>Hello,
>im just wondering why Oracle is so expensive and who uses it. Could someone
>tell me, who are the usuall buyers of Oracle and why is it so special
>compared to other dbs?
>Thx

Your question is just too general.
Oracle exists in various editions, you imply Oracle is *too* expensive, and you don't qualify to which edition this applies nor to which version.

The answer would simply be to do your research (I know the Germans posting here generally speaking don't read any document prior to posting) and compare the feature list of Oracle with about any product, including sqlserver, including the (according too many) 'so much better' 'free' databases there are out there. Those latter products (including sqlserver) will never be capable to be used on enterprise wide level, for datawarehouse purposes, for 7 x 24 operations (Also Oracle will never work 7 x 24 on any Winblows platform, as you have to 'patch' Winblows and reboot the system at least once a week).
So: quality pays, and at its best those so called 'competitive' products will never leave the stage where they are now: in the toy stage.
If you want to put your company data at risk: use any toy. If you want quality, choose Oracle.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA