Need Recommendation on Which Analytic to Use

From: Terry Coccoli <request_at_ifneeded.com>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 18:45:17 GMT

Didn't get a nibble in the other newsgroup, so reposting here:

I have a request to return the "lower quartile(maybe list the lowest 25%)" of providers who have called into the service center.

This basically means that I need to do a COUNT(*) by provider and applying some kind of rank based on that count.

I tried NTILE but since I'm ordering by a COUNT(*) exression, and many providers have the same count, I'm seeing the same counts across different quartiles. According to the docs, this is standard behaviour.

I also tried using PERCENT_RANK, but it gives results in the range of 0 to 1. I'm not sure how to evaluate the results to give me what I need.

Any suggestions ? Received on Tue May 11 2004 - 13:45:17 CDT