Oracle replication - store creation time of a row

From: Thomas Kellerer <OSCUQDVXTKFJ_at_spammotel.com>
Date: Fri, 07 May 2004 11:30:59 +0200

Hello,

we are using Oracle 8.1.7 with a replication set up between two servers. The snaphots are read-only and replicated every 30 minutes via a FAST REFRESH.

We would like to "log" the timestamp when a row has been created/inserted into the snapshot (as opposed to be updated)

As far as I can tell, there is no way of getting a timestamp in the snapshot itself which would be populated automagically by Oracle. Or did I miss something?

Currently the only solution I can see, is to create an INSERT trigger on the snapshot, and insert the primary key and a timestamp into a second table when a row is inserted into the snapshot.

I think a table level trigger would probably be faster because I can do the insert with one single insert statement (instead of a one INSERT per record inserted into the snapshot). Is that assumption valid?

Any other ideas?
We are not talking about a huge table, maybe only 50000 rows, with an average of about 200 - 500 inserts per day.

Any input would greatly be appreciated

Regards
Thomas Received on Fri May 07 2004 - 04:30:59 CDT