Re: direct IP connect to oracle

From: Mark Bole <makbo_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 06 May 2004 00:34:36 GMT

Frank Esselbach wrote:

>>Sorry, but there is no possibility. The client libraries are
>>responsible for parsing and binding, all the handles, and incidentally
>>also the socket.

> Hmmm ... why? Is this so difficult? The encoding, the data handling or
> what? I need only one connection to send a sql string and receive the
> answer, no more. To programming this for mysql I have needed twoo days -
> works fine.
>

>>Maybe you can have a statically linked application
>>that contains all the necessary libs?

> This makes the things more difficult. I use a IDE named "RealBasic" ...
> (little bit like VB but much more better :-)) please do not flame against
> basic. This is a modern visual, event driven and object oriented tool that
> contains a cross plattform compiler: MacOS Classic, MacOS X, Win32 and
> Linux. With one ckick to the running application, without external dlls, no
> runtime lib, no installation.
>
> The native realbasic code is platform independ, the oracle client libs not.
>

>>Lots of Greetings!
>>Volker
>>

> Greetings, Frank
>
> P.S. Können wir auch per Mail in deutsch kommunizieren? Verwende die
> Mailadresse, indem du alle "s" entfernst: sisnsfsos_at_sqsusaslsisdsasts.com

Several platform independent methods are available (which don't require a native Oracle client library), although I cannot speak from personal experience. I'm guessing you won't be very happy with these, but they do exist.

  1. Java JDBC thin client
  2. iSQL*Plus -- "iSQL*Plus is a light weight, web enabled version of SQL*Plus released as beta version for Oracle 8.1.7" -- so all you need is a HTTP client.
  3. roll your own - write a program on the database server to listen on a network socket, accept your message (SQL string) and run it locally, and return the result (not very good for any but the most simple queries, due to formatting and datatype issues).

Oracle 8i is obsolete and not well supported any more.

HTH, Mark Bole Received on Wed May 05 2004 - 19:34:36 CDT