Re: how to boost a slow update query

From: Olaf Musch <Olaf.Musch_at_computer.org>
Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 17:57:54 +0200

<vuht2000_at_yahoo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:c9cd729c.0405030721.220fe570_at_posting.google.com...
> Thanks Sybrand,
> there's a type, it should be "...where a.val2=a.val3"
> the plan shows that both tables have full table scan. So which columns
> should I place index on and/or how to force oracle to use them to
> avoid fts?
> regards,
> Tam

Hi Tam,

without checking it, I first think you should create indeces on the columns you use in the update restriction: val2 and val 3 of table1.

This is because in this restriction, the rdbms has to read and compare the values for EVERY row of table1, so that's the reason for the fts on it.
With the correction that Sybrand already told you and these indeces, I presume that the fts on table2 will no longer appear in
your explain plan.

hth

Olaf Received on Mon May 03 2004 - 10:57:54 CDT